Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Something unexpected…

…in operation SmokeOut.  It seems that the smoking was helping with previously unknown levels of anxiety.  In an effort to reduce my anxiety levels I’ve been drinking more beer than usual in the evenings.  The problem with that is that the drinking the night before also increases my anxiety in the mornings. 

So, it’s been quite the Catch-22.  Of course if I had still had medical insurance, I’d talk to a doc about all of this, (as I also think there is some depression in there too) but since I no longer have that luxury I’ve decided to quit drinking, at least for a while.  It seems to help level out the anxiety instead of there being huge peaks and deep valleys.

I’ve been thinking about trying kava to lessen some of the effects.  I’ve also read that exercise can help, too. 

This also neatly dovetails into other things I’ve read concerning smokers.  The ones that find it most difficult to quit are usually the ones that are depressed. 

Anyway, I’m determined not to smoke anymore.  No matter what it takes.

10 comments:

ckb said...

Wow!!! You go.

Peter said...

What about nicotine patches? Your body still gets some of the nicotine it needs, while you can work on th other issues.

I salute you for trying to stop!

Lemuel said...

I'm not a doc. I'm not a Rx. But I am an ear and a heart. You know where I am and if I can do *anything* for you or to see you through a rough spot, my friend, *24/7!*, call!

dykewife said...

wow! congratulations! you're going to have to change the name of your blog to the non-smoking fag. anyway, if you want to check it out, st. john's wort is an herbal antidepressant that some people have found effective in helping them. you can pick that at pretty much any health food store. just like with any drug and depression, you need to monitor your mood to make sure that you're not dipping. valarian is an herbal sedative that some people use to help with anxiety.

just two options that might be useful. keep taking care of you.

oh, my word verification is "ressuck" :D

Stephen said...

Yes, exercise will help tremendously! Along with the endorphins that it produces comes reduced stress/anxiety, better health, less depression from all the released endorphins, and keep you from smoking! Good luck, Brad!!! And as you did for me, e-mail me if you ever need anything:)

john said...

Good for you. I am so proud that you have quit smoking!!

Bear Me Out said...

Keep at it. Addiction is about cover stuff up. As it springs forth, you can deal with it. You can, you are, you will! You're doing it!

Gumby said...

Hang with it!

For the anxiety, see if your local major grocery store carries "Tranquil". It's an OTC supplement that contains valerian root and hops. I swear by it - I took some this morning before I left for work due to some oddly unexpected morning anxiety.

goblinbox said...

Weird. I found that my anxiety was less after quitting. Isn't the body strange!

Hydrate, exercise, and love yourself. The anxiety can go fuck itself.

I'm thinking of taking a month off drinking in May. Goddamnit. It's so much more fun to be young and stupid!

Wayne said...

dykewife is right, st. john's wort is really good for depression and mood. But it does take time to reach proper levels in the body, so be patient. And of course, exercise is a great mood lifter.