Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Rush is right?

“We can live beside the ocean, leave the fire behind.
Swim out past the breakers, watch the world die.” - Everclear

I have been thinking a lot about what Rush Limbaugh has said concerning the devastating oil leak (Can we please quit calling it a spill?) in the Gulf of Mexico.

He said “…the ocean will take care of this on its own if it was left alone and was left out there.”

I’ve decided he’s right.

Because in the larger picture, when you look at our earth as more than just a snapshot (our frame of reference) in time and realize that it is an awesomely unique planet billions of years in the making, yes, “nature” will take care of it.

Maybe our thirst for oil, coal, uranium, plutonium, power and control will persist until we've destroyed everything beautiful on this planet and devalued life as we know it for all things political.

But, I’m afraid that by the time we realize that our very existence on this planet was a rare, precious gift, nature will have taken care of us.

And my guess is that the earth will be better off.

7 comments:

A Lewis said...

Wow...quite the thoughts, and very well put. I do think that nature has it's own very good way of taking care of itself. But I also think that we contribute to its demise in far too many ways.

Lemuel said...

Bingo, Brad!

lazybythelake said...

yep, excellent point you make. my sister and i talk about that same thing a lot.

Brad said...

For those of you that have commented, what the hell are we going to do? I haven't any money any longer, but I would really like to change this. Talk to me. Tell me how you and I can make a difference. Please.

lazybythelake said...

busy day here so i just have time for one quick comment right now (buddy from the college days in town and we have a large day planned so i gotta motivate). one thing i already do that may or may not be effective:

i e-mail my us congressional rep and senators, the president and some of the cabinet members, and my state assembly people all the time and multiple times. some get weekly correspondence from me.

i got my self set up on these handy environmental listservs that help by sending me prompt e-mails with draft text you can change-up if you like. one of the big reasons i did this was the money issue. i can hook you up with some organization's websites if you want to sign up and click your brains out to send e-mails. it really does make it easy for me since my work days are very hectic with little time. and it costs nothing to participate.

john said...

Very well said...

goblinbox said...

Mother Nature is one vastly powerful bitch.

Also, there are many natural oil leaks on earth; She has Ways of dealing with them.

Best way to make a difference: drive less, fly less, and use vastly less plastic. Reuse, reuse, reuse. Refuse the idea of ANY single-use plastic items that aren't surgical in nature. Reuse cups, bottles, straws, take-out containers, shopping bags, kitchen baggies.